Monday, April 30, 2012

16 and Pregnant...or not!

     My husband and I both look young.  I especially look young!  Young enough to star on 16 and Pregnant... or Teen Mom.  The truth is, I'm 26 years old.  That definitely makes me old enough to be married... YES Married... and definitely old enough to have a child!!
    
On our honeymoon.
     I only want to touch base on this subject because for the past year and a half I feel like I have morphed into a spectacle for all to see. 
     When I first started showing, the stares started.  Stares, looks of distaste, eyes trailing to my ring finger, rude comments, and the list continues.  I was so put off by all of the judgements of others my husband bought me a "pregnancy" wedding band when my wedding set no longer fit.  I figured if I had a ring on my finger maybe those who felt the need to judge me would walk away figuring I was married.
The little man who makes it all worth it

    It got so bad that I hated to go anywhere.  Not even the doctor's because I dreaded the judgement of others.  Naively, I figured that once my son was born everything would return to normal.  Hello, I forgot what it was like when I was actually 16 and babysitting!! I wanted to walk around then with a sticker on my head stating, "Not the mother, only the babysitter."  Now the sticker I want reads, "Yes, I'm his mother, Yes, I'm married, and NO I'm not a teenager!"

Loving on my Mo!
     I'm absolutely positive there are other mothers out there who face the same judgement.  And I don't feel like it is warranted or easy to handle (maybe I'm self conscious, but I just feel like it is WRONG).  My son, though, does not deserve the thoughts that probably follow the, "Oh my goodness, look at that poor boy with another teen mom!"  My son is a product of a loving, caring, married, and providing parents. 

     Through all of this, I have learned to truly follow the old saying, "Never judge a book by its cover."  I have learned to be less judgemental towards others.  But, let me tell you, when I have dirty looks thrown my way or yet another person questions whether I'm married or not, it is mighty tempting to blow up and just yell, "I'm NOT another teen mom!!"
   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment